Sunday, August 16, 2015

I Love MY Church “Connecting with God and People”


Thirty years ago, Vonnell and I set out from Lakeland, Florida to become the pastor of Oceanway Assembly of God. The Pen. Florida Superintendent of the Assemblies of God said to me, “Danny, I’m getting ready to close a church in Jacksonville; they’ve had new pastors nearly every year over the last several years and have come to a breaking point. Are you interested?”


What he did not know was when I was a sophomore at SEU, one early morning praying, I know God spoke to my heart and said to me, “One day you will go to Jacksonville, Florida to pastor a church.” Was this it? Was this what God was talking about seven years before? On April 7th, 1985, Vonnell and I had our very first Sunday service in Jacksonville, Florida as the new pastor at Oceanway A/G. Why do I love MY church? First, because God loves His church, and He is diligent, attentive and passionate in Redeeming and Connecting lives to Him in these last days.


God warns His own people to NEVER lose their first LOVE. He says to the church of Ephesus, “Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.” (Rev. 2:4) How could this happen? Did something else get in the way? Did people get caught up with their own interests, business, jobs, sports, and entertainment? Jesus doesn’t want anything else COMPETING with His CHURCH!        So Why Do We Love Our Church?”

It’s a Place Where People Can Connect With God and With People!
Connecting with God is essential! It’s the first commandment Jesus spoke (Mark 12:31). It’s where lives are redeemed, changed, transformed, disciples made, marriages healed, sick bodies set free, and addictions broken. Is there anything too hard for our God?  Blind Bartimaeus cried out and said, “Jesus, have mercy on me.” Then the Word says, “And Jesus stood still.” (Mark 10:49) Friend, He still stands still today when people cry out to the Savior. He can radically change people from their blindness. Many today are restless in their brokenness, weary with their challenges, stressed with their troubles, pressured at work, confused in a rapidly changing world. Does God still answer the cry of men’s hopelessness today?

Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever. (Heb 13:8) Yes, God is in the redemption business! I was flying home from Calcutta India. Some 33 hours had transpired as we were approaching home in Jacksonville, Fl. I couldn’t wait to get off that airplane. I was tired, weary to the bone. Within 15 minutes of landing, the pilot came on the speaker and said, “Ladies and gentlemen, I’m sorry to inform you, Jacksonville International airport has lost power; there are no lights on the runway and we’ll have to fly on to Orlando where you’ll have to make other travelling arrangements.”

There was a loud moan throughout the passenger cabin, “OH NO!”  Weary, beat, fatigued, exhausted, and more. Now we’re talking another 3 hours to rent a car and drive to Jacksonville. But within 10 minutes, the pilot said, “I’m happy to inform you; POWER has been restored to Jacksonville International Airport. We’re turning around to our destination.” Friend, Oceanway is to be a CHURCH, a place where people can safely land in the arms of Christ. Let’s be a Bright Light to our city so they can come to know Christ as their Lord and Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment