Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Drifting From God's House?


When I was a kid, I was “drugged up” pretty bad. “Drugged” every Sunday to church worship, to Sunday School, to revivals, to midweek services and to prayer meetings and church work days. It was only by the grace of God that I never did place any weird chemicals in my body.

I did learn as a child the discipline of going to the house of God that has stayed with me all my life. I'm very concerned that in today's society, many kids have never been taught the discipline of going to church on a regular basis. Sunday has become just another day of the week.

We go to the church to hear the Word of God. We go to be renewed in our faith. We go to reboot and to refocus on what's really important in life. Jesus says, "Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and He shall add all these other things." (Matthew 6:33)

The average time people spent committed to charitable organizations 20 years ago was 11.8 hours. Today people will give only 2 hours per week to church and charitable organizations. What has happened to our society? Have we gotten so busy that we no longer have time for God in our world?

Yes life is busy. We go to work; we take our kids to school, to dance, to soccer, to baseball, to basketball… but to church? Have we become so exhausted with other things that we just can't find time for God in our schedule? Have we taught our kids that sports are more important than spending time to hear what God has to say?

I know you say. "Wow, he is on a band wagon today." Well my heart hurts to see America and our families drifting away from the principles of God's Word. We say we can't interfere with our kid’s education, but just how concerned are we about their eternity in heaven? How concerned are we about them having power to overcome the schemes and deception of the enemy?

Hebrews says; "Not forsaking the assembling of yourselves together as the manner of some is, but exhorting one another and so much the more as ye see the Day approaching.” (Hebrews 10:25) As a pastor I have observed over the years that people take off more frequently from the house of the Lord than they did 10 and 20 years ago. How about you? Are you drifting from faithfulness to God’s house?

I have never seen a world more distracted with sports, gadgets, Facebook, Twitter, smart phones, entertainment, and on and on I could go. Don't allow your distractions to get in the way. Ask yourself today; “Do I have a discipline like David that describes going to the House of the Lord?” David said, "I was glad when they said to me; Let us go to the house of the Lord."(Psalm 122:1)
dannysdevotional.com

1 comment:

  1. I definitely want a discipline like David to go to the house of the LORD.

    ReplyDelete