Sunday, February 1, 2015

Does Giving To God = Sweet Living? (1)

There is a sign along an Alaskan highway that has brought a smile to many a motorist: “Choose your rut carefully..... You’ll be in it for the next 150 miles.” My wife and I started our journey some 39 plus years ago, just married, heading off to SEU for our training in college. We really looked like Sanford and Son traveling down the Interstate with everything we owned in the back of a pickup truck. God taught us early in our marriage to be careful with the ruts we established.

We had only been married for 3 weeks and now it was time for us to TOTALLY TRUST in our GOD with our money matters. Mom and Dad were too poor to bail us out, so there was a complete dependence on our God. I thought: How will we pay our rent, put food on the table, keep the lights on, put gas in the car, pay our college bills, much less give of our tithe to the Lord?”  I remember saying, “I will catch up next week with the tithe: God will understand,” But God was carefully watching the rut we were creating. The first week we didn’t tithe, our beautiful new wedding towels were stolen out of the laundry mat. The second week we failed to tithe, the water pump went out on our Monte Carlo. The third week our house stereo system blew up. Do you think God was trying to get our attention?

After three weeks I said, “Okay God, I get the message, I won’t ever again fail to bring my tithe to you.”  From that day on, together we said; “God, the first part belongs to you.” God opened the heavens over our lives and has blessed us more than words can convey. In one particular tight stretch, Von’nell was up praying about our food pantry. “God, I’m ready for some serious food on our table. I’m ready for more than beans and hotdogs; I’m ready for steaks, pork chops, fresh corn, peas, and okra!  By the way God, I don’t want any chicken.” God is my witness, the next Sunday Morning after church, we were invited over to the home of one of our Godly prayer saints. After lunch she said, “Danny, Von’nell, come out to the garage. I have something to give you out of my freezer.” She took a brown bag and started filling it up steaks, pork chops, fresh okra, peas, and corn out of her garden. Then she said, “You’re not going to get any chicken because God didn’t tell me to give you any chicken."

Nobody will ever convince me that God is not FAITHFUL to His Word. He says “Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full—pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back.” (Luke 6: 38 NLT) Wow, has the Lord ever proved to my wife and me time and time again that giving to God equals Sweet Living! He has blown us away with His generosity.

Have you FALLEN into a BAD RUT? Why don’t you break out of the old rut in this New Year, and tell the Devil that the spirit of greed is not welcome in your house. Say today, “From this day on Lord, I’m going back to the drawing board for You to manage my money Your Way. My way doesn’t work; today I choose to set aside my tithe; the first part of my money belongs to you. (Malachi 3:8-12) In Jesus’ name I receive your blessings, favor and Success over my finances.” Lord bless those who obey you now.

No comments:

Post a Comment