Monday, November 7, 2011

Who Are You Leaning On?

Ezekiel 29: 16 Never again will Israel be tempted to rely on Egypt. All she'll be to Israel is a reminder of old sin.


When I left home at the age of 19, I was newly married, new in college, new to central Florida, new to being the provider of my home. I was now in a position where I had to totally depend on God.

When the responsibility of paying the rent, the electric bill, putting food on the table, keeping fuel in the car kept coming week after week. I quickly had to learn that dad's provision was no longer there for my pleasure. Now I had to completely depend on the God that I had served from my early years.

God was saying to Israel, "never again will you be tempted to rely on Egypt. All she'll be to you is a reminder of old sin."
God was about to take her to the bottom of the ladder, and there she will stay and never climb to be a world leader again.

When Israel's king Solomon began to drift away from his God, he had allowed his heart to chase after women from Egypt. I had always thought that he just had a bent for women. The man ended up having 700 wives and 300 concubines. What was up with his drive and lure to women?

If you further study this man, you will see that he became very fearful in these days of a backslidden condition. What was going on? The word says that he hired 60 bodyguards to surround his bed in the night.

Why was this man sweating bullets in the night? You see in his backslidden state, he had lost his trust for God and was having to depend on another source for his peace of mind.

It wasn't his love for women that brought about his peaceful state of mind, but it was his alliance with Egypt that brought him peace. See they were the strong presence of power in the world. He figured as long as I have their women, I'm protected from their strong hand, and Egypt will be my friend and not my enemy.

God despises it when we turn to other means to be our strength and our protection. " The name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous run to it and they are safe" Proverbs 18:10

God doesn't like it when we look for other means to be our peace in the night. Solomon with all of his bodyguards still left him fearful and miserable. There is only one person that can bring us perfect peace. His name is Jehovah Shalom. "Thou will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed upon thee" Isaiah 26:3

Who are you leaning on? Who is your peace in your worst nightmare? Who do you look to when you don't know how your going to meet budget, when you don't know how your going to put food on the table. It was during my early years of life, that God taught me not to look to a man to be my provider. Paul says; "My God shall supply all my needs according to His riches in Glory." Philippians 4:19

Don't be surprised when God places you in a position where you have to look to Him. Smile, 'If God be for you, who can be against you? Romans 8:31

Stand up with confidence, " Be confident of this very thing, he which hath begun a good work in you shall perform it until the day of Jesus Christ."Philippians 1:6

Quit loosing your rest in the night. "For it is vain for you to rise up early and to sit up late to eat the bread of sorrows, for so he giveth his beloved sleep." Psalm 127:2

There is no greater life than leaning on the God who loves you and has hand picked you for his purpose.

1 comment:

  1. God has put me in a place in my life where I have to rely on him more and more everyday and I am getting closer everyday.
    And Romans 8:31 and Isaiah 41:10 are in my life more than ever before.

    ReplyDelete