Thursday, February 16, 2012

Rest...What's That?

Exodus 31:1-18, 35:1-3 Psalm 127:2


God is clear that we are to take a day and rest and honor and focus on Him. If God himself could work six days and take a day off, surely we can as well. It's amazing to me how busy we stay in America. When I travel overseas to Central America, it seems they have a bit slower pace. I'm not sure that's all bad. At noon for two hours it's siesta time, wow maybe we have it all backwards in our country?

I'm not convinced things are getting any better. The mind never shuts off. We say "Oh I have to check in on my twitter, my face-book, my iphone, my e-mail accounts, my work, my bank account, my bills, my kids, my spouse, my friends, my golf game, my fishing trip, my, my, my, my do we ever chill out and rest?"

If God designed our bodies to rest, and we rebel against the manual, guess what, something somewhere will break? The body requires rest. The average teen-ager needs 9 hours and the average adult needs 7 to 8 hours a night. How much do you sleep at night? Does your body ever go into the deep sleep mode? I have been guilty of allowing to much to get on the plate. It's imperative to be attentive to God's blueprint and layout for our lives.

People wonder why they live all fearful and frazzled and frustrated, and agitated, and irritated? Have you ever seen a kid who was getting fussy because he or she needed their nap? Adults are no different, each of us need to take a day that we chill out and honor God.

The average Christian 15 years ago gave 11.1% of their time each week to charitable corporations and churches. Today that same figure is less than 2% a week they give of their time and talents. Years ago people would not miss more than 2 or 3 Sundays a year in church. Now the average saint goes to church 2 to 3 hours a month to church. You know why? People have gotten so busy with their lives.

Studies show preachers would have to preach the same message 3 weekends in a row for everyone in the church to hear the message. Is something going wrong? Could it be that we are drifting away from the principals of the living word of God? Did God really say that we are to set aside one day a week and rest and honor him? Could that turn around our focus, our worship and our first love to God?

Have you set aside a day this week to rest and honor and focus on God? Don't forget, He's the one who cares more than anyone else about your physical and emotional and spiritual well being, and yes your being with Him for eternity.
dannysdevotional.com                                         oceanwayag.com

1 comment:

  1. wow that's deep and scary!

    Amen. Taking more time for rest and for him!
    Bless you!

    ReplyDelete