Thursday, January 12, 2012

Why Ishmael? (2)

Genesis 16: 2 And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, the Lord hath restrained me from bearing: I pray thee, go in unto my maid; it may be that I may obtain children by her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sarai.s


Why is it that we think we have to help God out in bringing about our dream or promise from God? Sarah said to Abram; "Take my maid Hagar and she will give you a son" He didn't take long in that consideration before taking Hagar into his bed chambers and 9 months later she had Ishmael.

God is big enough to perform his promises. God doesn't need my assistance in making it happen. How was it that Abram forgot that when he got in the way, when he gave in to his flesh, it would bring much sorrow and heartache his way? What He needed was faith and not a Hagar.

I recall times that I have gotten in the Lord's way of some of my own dreams and promises from God. I was eager to pastor a church after 6 years of training with college and in ministry being a youth and music pastor in central Florida. After these years, there was a stirring in my heart, what was it? Was it God telling me,"it's time to move on," or was it "my own impatience with waiting on God?"

How many cars, and homes, have been purchased, how many changes in jobs, how many moves across the country, how many times have pastors and members changed churches, all because we moved on our hurts and notions and doubts and being impatient with God's promises?

I have learned the hard way," Ishmael's bring great pain." Waiting on God to make it happen is much better and less painful. What are you waiting on from God? What is it that is so frustrating to you that you have decided to knock the door in and do it anyway? Have you considered your impatience could bring much pain beyond that door?

God says; "Behold I have set before you and open door which no one can shut, for thou hast a little strength and have kept my word." (Rev 3:8) The question is, Did God open the door or did you knock it in?  He opens doors that seem impossible. He really does know best, and when He closes a door, don't sulk and get mad at God. He knows what's behind each door and what you are able to handle and process in your life.

God will forgive us for our impatience and our doubting him of His ability to make things happen, but that doesn't mean that we won't suffer the consequences when we choose to move ahead without His blessings.

He is more than able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think according to the power that worketh within us. Let God work His perfect plan, His will, His timing, and His patience in your life. Isaac's are worth waiting for. By the way, He has forgotten you, and hasn't changed His mind about your Isaac.

No comments:

Post a Comment