Sunday, March 18, 2012

Trust Your Flesh? (2)

There is mornings that if I listen to my flesh I wouldn't do my walk-run. Some mornings I wouldn't eat my oatmeal, I would rather eat pancakes, bacon and eggs. Many mornings if I listen to my flesh "I would," on and on I could go. All of us know the flesh screams out for what it wants.

If you live after the flesh you will die, but if you through the spirit put to death the deeds of the body you will live. (Romans 8:13) Jesus was about to go to the cross to pay ultimate sacrifice for you and me. Surely the flesh was screaming, there has got to be another way. Jesus knew that in order to overcome the cross, he must stop at the garden of Gethsemane to spend time with his Father.

How many things do we miss in our journey because we allow the voices of the flesh to talk us out of our mission? Jesus ask his disciples to pray with him in the greatest trial of his life, yet their flesh fell asleep. Jesus came over in their nodding off time and time again to wake them up.

Is there something that God is saying to you over and over again? Have you allowed the flesh to drown out the sound of the spirit of God? If you listen to the flesh, you will miss the will of God. If you listen to the flesh, you may leave your spouse, you may walk away from ministry, you may refuse to get up and read your bible, spend time in prayer, you may end up going to the beach or the mall instead of the house of the Lord.

There is none righteous, no not one. Jesus pressed through the flesh in the garden of Gethsemane, Adam and Eve listen to the flesh in the garden of Eden and gave way to the flesh. They lost everything because the flesh ruled out.

How many people today are in prison, have left their marriage, have taken their life, have given up on their dream because the flesh overwhelmed their heart. Jesus gives us the greatest example of spending time in prayer in order to succeed with your mission in life.

I wouldn't be at Oceanway Assembly of God today if I had listen to my flesh. Times of discouragement, times of doubt, times overwhelmed with pain. There is only one who can renew us, who can refuel us, who can give us the oil that we need to go the distance.

Don't undervalue the time to go spend with the Lord. They that wait on the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint. (Isaiah 40:31)

Jesus fulfilled his mandate on the cross, because he refused to listen to the flesh. He overcame the flesh because He spent time with his father. O by the way, nobody else can run my 2 miles for me; no one else can make me push back from the grand slam for breakfast.

Jesus stands at the right hand of the Father making intercession for you and I in order to overcome, to win, to be victorious over the flesh. Jesus is waiting for our honest hearts to be refreshed and touched again and again. Let him renew you now to triumph over every doubt, every defeat, and every discouragement. I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me. (Philippians 4:13)

Danny Baggett                                                                            dannysdevotional.com               
oceanwayag.com

1 comment: